Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Impulse
Everyone does things out of impulse, the difference is that some of us regret our impulse actions, while others would do the same thing again if they had to. In the sixth episode of Firefly, we all know that Inara kisses Mal when she first see's him on the ground knocked out. At first when I watched it I thought that she did it because she loved him. Once I watched the episode again, the next scene caught my eye and got me thinking. What if Inara kissed Mal because she cared about him, but lied about it because she never wanted him to find out. I began to think that it was just an impulse of her's to go kiss him, even though if they were in any other situation she would not have kissed him. I think that she does have feelings for him and she might even love him, but because she lied I feel like she never wants him to know. By lieing to everyone about why she too passed out, she is concelling the truth about her feelings for him. In relationships love may not always be enough. Two people can love eachother and stay truthful to eachother, but it's still not a gurantee that they will last forever. Maybe Inara knew that she and Mal would never work because of their different personalities. So instead of telling him how she truely feels, she deep down might not even want to be with him because she knows the outcome. This kiss is just one impulse reaction that i feel Inara regrets. This happens everyday and everyone has probibly done something out of impulse that later they regreted. I think Inara regrets the kiss, and even if she doesn't realize it, she know's why she did it and then why she lied about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think they both like each other, but they are too stubborn to admit it
ReplyDeleteI'm sure Inara does have feelings for Mal that are reciprocated by him. Neither of them will act on these feelings even though neither of the really knows what the outcome of the relationship would be. Both Inara and Mal are unsure of the others feelings too. They would rather have things as they are now than risk a change. I'm sure both of them think that if they act on their feelings they will be rejected. They fear a failed relationship or rejection and don't want to make things awkward between the two of them. They would rather both go through life alone than take that risk and be rejected and have the relationship between them change.
ReplyDeleteThe way Inara looks at Mal shows that she has feelings for him. She notices just about everything he does, especially when Saffron announced she was his new wife. That hurt Inara deep down, but with her stubborness, she went with the whole scene of staying positive. I think one of them will have to come out to say their feelings because a person can only hold so much inside.
ReplyDeleteThere's some serious sexual tension between them. I read ahead about the series and saw that they never really ever resolve it.
ReplyDeleteYeah when I watched that episode I definately got the feeling that something was going on between the two of them. This is a very intersting topic!
ReplyDeleteI believe that we act on what we feel is necessary to our survival at that point in time. This is what is the center of our impulse. I think that how people react in a time of perill will truly reveal their feelings and intentions towards a person or subject. Much like that Inara when she kiss Mal when he's passed out. She only does this because she truly cares. If she didn't she would have turned around and walked out of the room.
ReplyDelete