Sunday, November 8, 2009

Problem with my paper!

So far in my common place paper there is only one sentence that I want to change, but am not sure how.

"Two main characters Mal (the captain of the ship) and Inara, a companion (also known as prostitute) act as though they hate each other. But do they really?"

I feel like by putting that Inara is a prostitute makes it seem like she is trash or something like that. I didn't want to just put companion, because no one will know what that it is. Maybe I could just not put either, but I wanted to provide a little back ground information. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I think it would be a good idea to explain exactly what you want a companion to be portrayed as, then go into your paragraph there without adding the a.k.a. a prostitute part

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could include this information is earlier sentences. This would avoid the breakup of this sentence and would give you a few extra time to completely explain the difference in what you refer to Inara as.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that by explaining what the term companion means in the context of Firefly, your audience will gain insight into some of the innerworkings of the community there. Also, you won't be generalizing Inara's profession and making her seem like a whore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instead of "But do they really?" I would put "Their actions seem to indicate something completely different."

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you say "companion", I think that that word in general is too vague. There are many things a companion can mean so you need to focus on what you are trying to say and how you intend to use it.

    ReplyDelete